Monday, November 10, 2008

The Face of the Homeless

Our youth have been traveling to Amarillo each Sunday evening to help serve the homeless. Robby drove the bus and I went as a "helper" yesterday. I really have never been face to face with someone who is homeless. There were people there from all races and ages. The hardest for me was seeing the families with fairly small children. As we served the food, I was struck by how gracious and polite most of the people were. Most of them had a fairly good attitude as well. It was very chilly and there was talk of precipitation in the forecast, but I never heard anyone complaining about their circumstance. One man asked if we had brought any clothes--they try to be really careful and only bring requested items each week so there isn't a frenzy over things that are brought. We asked what he specifically needed. He replied, "just socks."

As I stood there visiting with some of them, I felt a little guilty that I had a nice coat, gloves and most of all a warm home to return to. I also felt a huge sense of how blessed we are to have a home and all the "stuff" we do. Sometimes you have to see first hand what all you have to be thankful for.

So take some time today to count your blessings and remember those who are less fortunate than us.

No comments: