Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Beef Noodle Casserole

This is my "go to" recipe. It is easy, I usually have the ingredients on hand and the boys love it!

Beef Noodle Casserole
1 lb. hamburger
1/4 c. minced onion
1 clove garlic
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 c. sour cream
1 c. cottage cheese
8 oz. medium egg noodles
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1. Brown hamburger, onion and garlic.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Simmer 5 minutes.
4. Cook egg noodles and drain. Combine the noodles, sour cream and cottage cheese.
5. Grease a casserole dish. Put down half of noodles. Top with meat; add remaining noodles. Top with cheese.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly.

Cook's notes: I think it is really tasty to cook the noodles first and let them kind of marinate in the cottage cheese and sour cream mixture. If you put the warm noodles in with the sour cream and cottage cheese, the noodles seem to absorb more flavor. Also, it finally dawned on me the other day to then cook my meat in the pan I cooked the noodles in and I only got a bowl and the pan dirty while cooking. Sometimes I amaze myself.

No comments: