I found this recipe in a magazine, I'm not sure which one. You can rest assured that I don't come up with any of my own recipes. Sorry for no pictures, I haven't yet mastered cooking and taking photos at the same time.
Baked Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups (12 oz) Monterey Jack cheese
10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Stir together first 6 ingredients and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl until well blended.
2. Wrap tortillas in heavy-duty plastic wrap; heat in microwave according to package directions.
3. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each warm tortilla; roll up. Place in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
4. Cook diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cream in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour tomato mixture evenly over tortilla; sprinkle with remaining 2 cups cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese melts and tomato mixture is bubbly. Serve with desired toppings. (They suggest sour cream and shredded lettuce.)
- I like to cook the chicken and mix up the chicken mixture and refrigerate it the night before. If you do this it may take a little longer than 20 minutes to heat up.
- The diced tomatoes with green chilies is NOT Rotel.
- When I heat the tortillas, I wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 45 seconds.
- We generally serve this with guacomole and chips.
- These heat up well the next day.