Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Incomplete Thoughts

When I started this blog for myself I really thought I had lots of profound thoughts to share with everyone. It turns out I do have them (thoughts) but when I have them it is at a time and place where I can't stop and write them down or run to the computer. Later, I can't remember them. I've been thinking about why I can't remember things very well and what I can do about the problem.
  • Kids seem to deplete brain cells faster than beer or wine ever could.
  • I find myself starting one thing, then being interrupted for another and not going back to complete the first thing. If I can't even remember what I was doing, then how can I remember what I was thinking?
  • Everything seems to be more important than what I'm thinking.

What to do about it:

  • I've been checking out a website that has a word of the day--problem is, trying to fit the word into a conversation with toddler boys is impossible. When an adult is finally here, I've forgotten the word.
  • The above website has word games. I play those, I think they are preserving a little bit of my brain function but definitely not improving or helping me regain any memory loss. (They always warned us that once you killed those brain cells they can't come back)
  • Saw an ad for a spa treatment that is supposed to help with memory. They were running a special--I thought the price wasn't bad. Until I realized the price per night just included your room. The price of the treatments would make you want to forget, not remember.

My conclusions: I think as a mom you just have to accept the fact that the mind is one of the first things to go and it is not necessarily your fault. Any suggestions on having complete thoughts and then remembering them are greatly appreciated. Maybe we could start a support group or get our disorder labeled as an "official disability." Then we could probably apply for government assistance or something.

No comments: