Friday, June 12, 2009

One of these things is not like the other...

I had to buy eggs at the grocery story the other day (gasp). One of our hens became broody, so I decided to let her set. The problem is, we don't have a good set-up to let hens hatch eggs. The other hens kept laying eggs beside her and she kept pulling them in. To top that off, I have suspicions that the Reds are laying somewhere, but haven't had time to stalk them yet.
So, in order to be sure I had enough eggs for Sadie's birthday cake, I bought some. Robby cooked the kids scrambled eggs the other night and they were the most pale things I'd ever seen. I even questioned him as to what he did differently with them.
Can you see the difference in store bought and farm raised?
Home-grown (left) vs. store-bought egg (right)
I'm not a big fan of eggs, but I hope we don't have to buy anymore anytime soon.
FYI--I removed the eggs from the hen. We need eggs more than we need chicks. Maybe next spring I'll have the right set up.

No comments: