Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Doughnuts

I decided to treat the kids to homemade doughnuts today. They loved them! I'm thinking it elevated my standing for the coveted Mother of the Year Award. I even got two thumbs up.

I know, I can read your mind. You're thinking, "Doughnuts? Who has time for that?"
You do, if you take a little help from me.
Doughnuts
1 can refrigerated biscuits
shortening or oil
powdered sugar
1. Cut biscuits in half (Sadie did this for me with our kitchen scissors--pretend I took a picture.)
2. Heat oil or shortening. Fry biscuits until golden; drain on paper towel

3. Sprinkle with powdered sugar

Cook's Notes:
  • We used to have a doughnut hole cutter, but it disappeared, so we just cut them in half.
  • I find that the mid-priced biscuits (I buy in packs of four) are the best.
  • Make sure the oil is hot enough when you start or they'll absorb it. Also, don't let the oil get too hot or they will brown too quickly and not get done in the middle.
  • Cheating? Maybe, but they sure were fast and easy this afternoon after school. (And, very tasty if I do say so myself.)

No comments: