Flavorful Beef Stir-Fry
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. sugar
6 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. white wine, apple juice or water
1 lb. boneless beef round steak, cut into thin strips
3 c. broccoli florets
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 pkg (6 oz) frozen pea pods, thawed
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided.
1 can (8 oz) sliced water shestnuts, undrained
Hot cooked rice
1. Combine cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce and wine, apple juice or water until smooth.
2. Add beef, toss to coat; set aside.
3. In a large skillet, stir fry broccoli, carrots, pea pods and onion in 1 Tbsp. oil for one minute.
4. Stir in water chestnuts; cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
5. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in remaining oil until meat reaches desired doneness.
6. Return vegetables to pan; toss.
7. Serve over rice.
- I use apple juice (we always have it on hand); sometimes I add a little more juice to the meat if I think the sauce is too thick.
- I also add minced garlic and onion to the sauce when the beef is "marinating."
- I use whatever thin steak or cut of beef is on sale.
- I generally cook the vegetables a little longer, because that's how our family likes it--this recipe is all about personal preference--I add more carrots, because T.S. likes them.
- I use fresh snow peas or sugar snap peas--I generally find them in a package in the bagged salads area.