Monday, February 9, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Strawberry Cake

Today is Robby's birthday. His favorite cake is strawberry cake so the boys and I made it this afternoon. It is not a pretty cake, it never is. (No I wasn't holding the camera crooked--I was serious, this is not a pretty cake.) What it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in taste. Today is the first time that I made it and it didn't fall. The icing is not a thick icing, so it won't "hide" flaws. The neat thing about this recipe is that Robby's mom uses this exact same one that my great-grandmother used.

Strawberry Cake

1 pkg. white cake mix
1 c. Wesson oil
1/2 c. water (or milk)
3 Tbsp. flour
4 eggs
1 pkg. strawberry Jell-o
1/2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries, thawed
Mix ingredients well. Makes 3 small layers or 2 large layers. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Topping:
1 box powdered sugar
1/2 stick oleo
1/2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries
Mix topping ingredients and spread between layers and on top.
Cook's notes:
  • Wesson oil is a brand of vegetable oil (I don't know if they even make it any more.)
  • Frozen strawberries used to come in a nice little 10 oz. box. I only had a 24 oz. container, so I drained what was left and put the sliced strawberries in the middle of the 2 layers.
  • Notice my great-grandmother called it a topping instead of an icing. It will just spill over the sides of the cake and puddle on the platter.
  • I suggest using the water rather than the milk. The milk and the 4 eggs make it so rich that I can almost guarantee it will fall. (Unless you know some trick I don't.)

1 comment:

Janda Bressler said...

This looks yummy! My grandmothers make a cake like this and it is sooo good.